Thursday, October 04, 2012

Charitable giving

I think we need to move away from a human-centric view of the world towards a deep ecology view, that is what has got our species into so much trouble. Social and environmental justice are part and parcel of the same thing. If you care for the environment, you are also caring for its inhabitants, which include people. And animals are people, in my book. They are sentient, they feel compassion and love, they have distinct personalities.  Yet another reason why I am a Pagan. 

I know some people who only give to charities that help people in the UK, because they seem unable to see that we are all part of the same world, and that if people in other countries are suffering, then it will eventually have an impact on us - indeed, already is, what with the number of asylum seekers (who are very welcome as far as I am concerned).

Other species' suffering, because it impacts the ecosystem, will eventually have an impact on humans anyway. Not that I think giving to animal and environment charities needs justifying on the grounds of the effect on humans, any more than I think giving to non-UK-helping charities needs justifying on the grounds of how it will help people in the UK.

My regular charitable giving goes to Survival International, RSPCA, Friends of the Earth, Oxfam, Stonewall, and Sight Savers. I also buy the Big Issue and shop in charity shops. I used to give to Greenpeace but recently I have become concerned about their campaigning methods.

I need to do a charity audit and decide which charities I will donate to, and why. I think I need to increase my giving to animal and environmental ones.

5 comments:

Barry Bell said...

Thanks for inviting comment to this blog post (you did so in the facebook group "Unitarian Earth Spirit Network").

I'm not sure that I can be of much help to you in your deliberations, however. I see "Charitable giving" as an intensely personal thing, and it is probably best to let your own spirit guide you free of the thoughts of others.

I feel pretty sure that the "best giving" is the one which feels right to you in the moment.

With love
barry

Yewtree said...

Indeed it is personal, but I am interested not so much in receiving guidance from others (I paddle my own canoe), as in what principles guide others' charitable giving.

Karem Barratt said...

I agree. Our charity giving should include non-human causes, partly as an act of responsibility for all the mess that as species we have created and partly out of love for our non-human brothers and sister. Although I still have problems seeing mosquitos and cockroaches as my planetary siblings, I do think we have to include other species well being as part of out own. Only when we have developed deep love and compasion for the shark and the pine tree will be ready to make significant changes in our life-style and civilization that can have true, beneficial impact in the world.

Karem Barratt said...

I agree. Our charity giving should include non-human causes, partly as an act of responsibility for all the mess that as species we have created and partly out of love for our non-human brothers and sister. Although I still have problems seeing mosquitos and cockroaches as my planetary siblings, I do think we have to include other species well being as part of out own. Only when we have developed deep love and compasion for the shark and the pine tree will be ready to make significant changes in our life-style and civilization that can have true, beneficial impact in the world.

Yewtree said...

Agree strongly, Karem, especially with the idea that it should be "partly as an act of responsibility for all the mess that as a species we have created and partly out of love for our non-human brothers and sisters".

It's time for deep ecology.